What Is Real Love

April 10, 2022

And Just Like That, One Sentence… Everything Changed…

I was taking my very first yoga class in Bali and she said “The moon controls water and we are 70% water…”

> I was just educated enough to know that this science was accurate.
> I was just barely brave enough to hold space for something that could unravel my entire world.
> I was just fed up enough with the pain to dare to go through the growing pains.

Those are facts.
The moon does in fact control water and I am in fact 70% water – give or take.

SO… the moon DOES affect me.
*** blink … blink ***

But I was taught that was all evil and a way to get the devil to open doors to your soul…

I was taught it was witchcraft, and witchcraft was a way for the devil to control you… take over your mind.

It was a “new age” … “woo”
and it was bad and wildly UNTRUE.

Only, it wasn’t at all UNTRUE. It was simply a fact of the human experience.

So wtf… how could something so simple and innocent be misconstrued so deeply???
AND more importantly… WHAT ELSE was I taught that was this WILDLY UNTRUE ???????

I felt a flood of tears.
I tried to hold back the soul cry wanting to emerge out of me as it was silent in the room except for Simran’s voice “Keep up… keep up.”

I began to feel all of the things that never felt right to me. That… without some significant fear-based pressure… I would never choose as my own belief.

> Anyone who doesn’t believe like us will go to hell.
> Hell is a place God sends you to burn for eternity if you don’t believe this specific thing.
> Anyone who doesn’t believe our interpretation of the bible is just full of ego. They just want to be right and believe they are smarter than God.
> If you ever believe in anything other than this God we describe and believe in, it is BLASPHEMY… and is unforgivable. You can never ever be forgiven for it.

On and on this list went.

None of it ever felt true to me, but I was sure as sh** scared that little
old me was wrong and the tens of thousands of humans who were murdered by the Christians who didn’t believe as they demanded… maybe they knew better than me.

But then again… none of that EVER FELT LIKE LOVE TO ME.

Later this day we went to the sacred water temple, Pura Tirta Empul, dedicated to the Balinese God Vishnu, the God of water.

AND SH** GOT REAL. VERY REAL.

Here we were.
In another God’s temple.
About to walk in and go through a release in the healing waters.

And I froze.
Do I believe this is blasphemy or not?
Do I believe in the fiery hell?
Do I believe God is a vengeful God?

The guide who was with us noticed my discomfort and came to me.
I said… “May I ask you something personal?”
“Of course.”

“Why do you let me worship my God in your temple?”
It felt like a very solid question based on all I had ever witnessed about what LOVE was in religion.

He smiled with his eyes and chuckled with warmth…
“Oh, there is only one God. My God, your God? It is the same God. You are free to worship your God in the temple. Please do.”

For a moment I pictured him asking this question in the church back home…

And again I felt something inside of me give way.
I started to weep.
This was it…
This is what I had looked for my whole entire life.

LOVE.
The moment I felt it I knew it was real.
This is what real LOVE felt like.

As I wept for all the souls who have felt unworthy, afraid, and bad… I felt it all begin to melt into this KNOWING.

REAL LOVE moved vastly beyond the limitation of religion, of language, of beliefs.

My body knew all along that it was not true. It was not LOVE. All I had to do was honor her, and let her guide me out of the fear-based imprinting.

In that moment I decided to walk into the water temple, and have an experience. I chose to believe that blasphemy and all the other scary stories were BS.

I was shaking, of course… 35 years of imprinting will do a number in you, but I walked to the water shaking and crying anyways.

I HAD MADE MY CHOICE.

The intention at the water was to leave something behind. Something you no longer wanted.
I had wanted to leave my extra baby weight in the water before we arrived… having zero awareness all of this would unfold.

I was too shaky to think through it all so I just opened myself up as much as I could and dunked my head underneath the first water spout.

I saw myself as a little baby… parents standing over me speaking with concern to each other. I felt myself see them as separate from me and their voices faded away.

Spout 2 – I was a toddler and they were standing over me this time speaking their concern TO me. Again, I felt myself become separate from them and their voices faded away.

As I continued through the fountains, I felt myself outgrow all of the imprinting from parents, school, society, and religion.
When I got out of the water nothing was ever the same.
I was never the same.
For the very first time in my life…

I felt the SPACIOUSNESS of LOVE.

And everything I do, every decision I make in my life in business is born of a deep VISION I have of humanity that knows the spaciousness of real LOVE.

m xx


Learn more with Mandy at MandyPerry.com

Sign up to receive Blogs directly in your email



My Conversation with Thich Nhat Hanh

What?! You mean… compassion for others includes the woman lying and hurting the man I love? It includes compassion for her?
That’s easy for you to say.
You don’t have a wife or kids that you love like I love them.
What’s that you say?
That’s how you love EVERYTHING? All humans? All animals and sentient beings?

read more

Not My Place To Get Someone To See the “Truth”…

For as long as I can remember I have always felt responsible for helping others see the things that they cannot see… the boyfriend on drugs, the way they are being taken advantage of, the abuse happening…
I have always suffered deeply to see anyone else suffering ESPECIALLY when I can see a way for their suffering to end!
This is what drove me so hard to break out of all of the abuse I was experiencing, go to school for 10 years while working and being a single mother with almost zero child support, start my business and make my first Mill in 2 years… THAT is a lot of drive, and it ALL came from MY WANTING TO END OTHERS SUFFERING.

read more

What I Resist, I Empower

I see this belief lately that “standing for a world where race & religion do not matter is naive.”
(And abusive)
It’s popped up a number of times in my feed and then once now in my own life.
”It’s exclusive and doesn’t account for all the biases happening today. Anyone who believes this only believes it because they don’t get it. They aren’t the ones experiencing the racism, sexism or etc.”
I understand the basis of this.

read more

Someone Told Me “You are not as enlightened as you think you are.”

And I wondered what that meant? What an unusual statement?
I realized that there’s a whole entire culture referred to as “woke” which couldn’t possibly believe more differently than my mentors who are considered “enlightened”. Which was she referring to?
And I chuckled.
I’m definitely not either…
Talk about a wild time to exist looking to find your way to a life full of joy and peace!

read more

Meditation Breakthrough

New one hour meditations….
I’m beginning to see what’s underneath all the crap….
I’m wildly resisting the reality of what’s happening to people and animals in the world… It feels like it cracks my brain and will burry me to accept it.

read more

I Was Being A Hypocrite

Sometimes we expect people to handle things even better than we are capable of handling them simply because society would agree that’s how it should be handled.
But that’s still hypocrisy…
Just because we can make the best argument for that being how it should have been handled… (womennnnnn lol)

read more